These homemade Whole Wheat Garlic Toasted Flatbread Chips are so easy to make!
I like that they are the perfect chip to dip into hummus or similar dips.
Whole Wheat Garlic Toasted Flatbread Chips
I should mention that these chips are on the healthier side as well.
That is because these chips are not fried but, rather baked instead.
This flatbread is also an unleavened recipe too.
By unleavened I mean that there is no added yeast in the ingredient list.
Hence, the term ‘flatbread’ is certainly just in a recipe such as this one.
By definition, a flatbread is a bread that is unleavened.
However, when it comes to a pita version of a flatbread, there may be a bit of yeast added to the recipe list.
Hence, while a pita bread may be considered to be a kind of a flatbread, it is also kind of a leavened bread as well.
Flatbread may be called by another name depending on who is making it and where.
What every version of the bread has in common is the basic ingredients that go into it.
Simply stated, every version of the flatbread will most likely include water, flour, and some salt.
From there, the recipes may vary depending on the who is making it and where for the most part.
For this recipe for flatbread crackers (or chips) we will be using Whole Wheat Flour.
As you may already know, there really are a lot of different kinds of flour available around the world. There are even differed varieties of wheat flour on the market.
I mentioned that for this chip (or cracker) recipe that we are using Whole Wheat Flour..
Using 100% whole wheat flour makes this recipe more friendly to the Mediterranean diet itself as this diet plan places emphasis on this kind of flour. However, you are certainly welcome to use the flour of your choice for this recipe. Just make sure that it is 100% flour (no added leavening ingredients etc) and if your choice is a gluten free variety, that your recipe compensates for that as well. Here is a great recipe for a Keto Low Carb Flatbread if you are interested.
I also mentioned that this flatbread recipe is a toasted garlic one as well.
To make this cracker, or chip if you prefer to call them, we will first make the flatbread. We will then cut the flatbread into triangles and apply the seasoning and toast them
This really is an easy recipe to make.
While I am using garlic in my recipe list, feel free to use an alternative seasoning idea.
You can simply just salt your chips if that is what you are wanting to do.
You can serve these chips alone or with a dip.
I will sometimes add a bit of Parmesan cheese to these when I go to toast them for added taste.
But, you may also like to include these in your next nacho bar too!
By the way, while you are here you may also be interested in these ideas.
Whole Wheat Garlic Toasted Flatbread Chips
As mentioned, for this recipe for flatbread crackers (or chips) we will be using Whole Wheat Flour.
Using 100% whole wheat flour makes this recipe more friendly to the Mediterranean diet itself because this diet plan places emphasis on this kind of flour. However, you are certainly welcome to use the flour of your choice for this recipe.
Just make sure that it is 100% flour (no added leavening ingredients etc) and if your choice is a gluten free variety, that your recipe compensates for that as well.
Here is a great recipe for a Keto Low Carb Flatbread if you are interested.
Here is what you will need to make Whole Wheat Garlic Toasted Flatbread Chips.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 2 1/2 cups.
- Salt- 1 teaspoon.
- Water- 1 cup.
- Olive Oil– 2 tablespoons.
- Garlic– 2 cloves minced. That is about 2 1/2 teaspoons of the bottled minced garlic.
- Additional seasoning as desired.
How to make Whole Wheat Garlic Toasted Flatbread Chips
- We will first make the flatbread and then transform those into the flatbread chips.
- Preheat your oven to 375 and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Also, lightly flour a flat surface that you will knead on top of.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Stir the water into the flour mixture. Do this by adding half of the water, mix a bit and then add the remaining water. You can use a dough hook or simply mix this by hand if desired.
- When you are able to form a soft dough, transfer the dough to your flat surface that your prepared earlier. Knead this for about a minute or two to get your dough right for rolling out. Next, divide the dough in half and then divide each half in half. Finally, divide each of these in half as well. You should thus have eight of these divided dough bits in total.
Continue with this.
- Working with each individual piece at a time, roll the dough into a circle and then flatten it with your hand onto the parchment paper. Use a rolling pin, such as one of these pizza rolling pins, to however roll your dough flat (about 1/8″) on the prepped baking sheet. Continue doing this until all eight pieces have been rolled out.
- Bake these for about 10-12 minutes until the begin to turn golden on the edges. If the bread begins to bubble simply use a fork to relieve the air in the bubble. While they are baking, saute the garlic in the olive oil over low heat.
- Once your remove the flatbread from the oven, brush them with the sauteed garlic in olive oil.However, I flip the bread and brush both sides. Then use a pizza cutter to cut each flatbread one into triangles. Top with an optional seasonings and place the flatbread chips back into the oven to get crispy. You can flip the chips and add additional seasonings as desired.
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. Reading the comments below is helpful to these readers and hopefully to you too!!
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and thus enjoying life!
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and thus can vary especially with ingredients that are used as a result.
These Whole Wheat Garlic Toasted Flatbread Chips are the perfect snack chip for anyone following the Mediterranean or similar diet.