A tasty Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp that is easy to make.
This strawberry and rhubarb crisp tastes like sweet fruit topped with a yummy crunchy oat streusel.
Fresh baked Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.
This is a simple recipe that requires few ingredients. You will probably like that this strawberry rhubarb crisp is fresh and sweet with a hint of tart lemon and a crisp oat crumble on top
Did you try my Blueberry Oatmeal Crisp
That is a similar crisp recipe that is made with blueberries. Like with this crisp recipe, that recipe is perfect when served just out of the oven.
This recipe can be made in individual ramekins. You can find a selection of ramekins that could work with this recipe here.
Rhubarb adds a nice tart balance to this baked crisp recipe. It is also a good source for Vitamin C, Potassium and Antioxidants.
To prepare the rhubarb, you should first remove the leaves. For this recipe, the rhubarb should be chopped into two to three inch pieces.
Fresh rhubarb can sometimes be tricky to find. However, you can usually find it frozen in the freezer department of your local grocery store.
If you do not want to use rhubarb in this recipe, you can simply sub in additional strawberries for it. Another option is to use apples that are tart (such as golden delicious) to get a similar flavor.
Tips for making homemade crisps.
My crisp was made using individual ramekins. The best sized ramekins to use are six and eight ounce sized ones.
Here are some more great tips for you.
- It may be easier for you to place your ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. This will make it easier to transport your ramekins.
- While this recipe is made using strawberry and rhubarb, you can use another fruit instead. I like blueberries or peaches for this recipe.
- Fruit that is fully ripe works best in this recipe. You can easily adjust the sugar added if needed to balance the sweetness.
- Lastly, allow your crisp to cool on a rack after removing it from the oven. This will help the oat topping to get more crisp.
How to store leftover crisp.
These crisps are best enjoyed on the day they are prepared. However, if you store the crisps, do so covered and refrigerated and keep in mind that the oat crumble can become soft and soggy.
By the way, while you are here you may also be interested in these ideas.
- No Bake Vegan Key Lime Bars
- Vegan Lemon Bars with Shortbread Crust
- Easy Chocolate Chip Hummus
- Vegan Marble Cake with Orange
- Easy Vegan Mug Brownie
- Vegan Chocolate Cookies
About this recipe for Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp.
This is a simple vegan recipe for individual crisps. To make this recipe you will need rhubarb and strawberries.
This is a two layered recipe.
The bottom layer includes the fruit. On top there is a crunchy oat topping layer.
Ingredients needed to make this vegan crisp recipe.
- Rhubarb. Use fresh bright rhubarb. It should also be chopped.
- Strawberries. Use strawberries that are ripe. The strawberries should be hulled and chopped.
- Sugar. If you use a sugar alternative, choose one that can be baked with and adjust the amount added as needed.
- Lemon Juice. This is added to help balance out the flavors. Fresh lemon juice works best.
- Cornstarch. Added to help thicken the ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract. Added for flavor.
- Lemon Zest. Also added for flavor balance.
- Flour. This is added for the topping.
- Light Brown Sugar. Brown sugar adds an earthy depth of flavor and sweetness to the crisp.
- Rolled Oats. Oats add great texture to the topping! You could use quick-cooking oats if you prefer but instant oats are not recommended.
- Vegan Butter. Use a vegan butter that resembles real butter for best results. The vegan butter should be melted.
How to make Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prepare the fruit as needed for this recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 350. Prep your ramekins for nonstick. If you decide to bake this on a rimmed baking sheet, you can line the sheet with parchment paper for easy spillover clean up.
- To prepare the bottom layer, in a large bowl, toss together the chopped rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Evenly distribute the mixture to the prepared ramekins.
- Next, for the topping. In a smaller bowl, combine together the flour, brown sugar and oats. Then mix in the melted butter.
- Using a spoon, evenly distribute the topping over each of the ramekins with the fruit mixture.
- Bake this for 20-22 minutes or until the topping begins to turn golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Allow the crisps to cool for about ten minutes before serving.
Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, a simple and tasty oven baked dessert recipe made with fresh fruit and oats.
Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Preheat your oven to 350. Prep your ramekins for nonstick.
- To prepare the bottom layer, in a large bowl, toss together the chopped rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Evenly distribute the mixture to the prepared ramekins.
- Next, for the topping. In a smaller bowl, combine together the flour, brown sugar and oats. Then mix in the melted vegan butter. Using a spoon, evenly distribute the topping over each of the ramekins with the fruit mixture.
- Bake this for 20-22 minutes or until the topping begins to turn golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Allow the crisps to cool for about ten minutes before serving.
Please see recipe post for further details on this recipe.
Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See Foodwineandlove.com for details on this recipe.
originally posted:September 26, 2022
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. However, your tips and tricks are also helpful to others. As a result, please share them.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will thus work on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life!
Lastly, nutritional Information is only an estimate and thus, can however also, vary especially with ingredients that are used.
Quick instructions for this recipe.
Start by preparing the fruit as indicated. Preheat your oven and prep the ramekins as well.
- Make the layers.
Make the base layer as indicated in the instructions. Then transfer this to the prepared ramekins.
Following the steps above, make the crisp topping and distribute this over the ramekins.
- Bake and serve.
Place the ramekins in your oven and bake as indicated.
When the topping begins to turn golden brown and the fruit in bubbly, you can remove the ramekins from the oven and allow them to somewhat cool before serving.