Mediterranean Diet Stuffed Eggplant that is vegan too!
This baked eggplant tastes like baked goodness that is accented with olives and tomatoes.
Delicious Mediterranean Diet Stuffed Eggplant
This is a simple recipe for baked eggplant.
The eggplant is complemented with the flavors and colors from both olives and tomatoes.
Did you try my recipe for Baked Eggplant Margherita ?
That baked eggplant margherita is made in bite sized pieces. It reminds me of eggplant pizza appetizers.
This recipes calls for a small amount of pine nuts. You can find a selection of pine nuts here.
Eggplant is a fruit that is commonly used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern recipes. However, eggplant may be best known for its unique ‘aubergine’ skin color.
Eggplant is a low calorie and low carbohydrate fruit that is often used like a vegetable in recipes (kind of like tomatoes). Experts tell us that eggplants are a good source for polyphenols.
When selecting an eggplant. choose eggplants that are smooth and shiny. The eggplants should have no visible bruising or soft spots as well.
While the skin of the eggplant is not consumed in this recipe, it is however best to rinse it off to remove any debris or dirt. Then allow the eggplant to dry.
Tips for making stuffed eggplant.
This recipe is made vegan. However, to make this vegetarian, simply use real parmesan cheese rather than the vegan version.
Here are some more great tips for you.
- When choosing an eggplant for this recipe, choose eggplants that are smooth and shiny. The eggplants should have no visible bruising or soft spots as well
- My recipe calls for using olive oil. While olive oil provided a nice flavor for this recipe, you can on the other hand, really sub in the oil of your choice.
- Pine nuts can be hard to find. However, alternatives to pine nuts that can be used include cashews or almonds.
How to store leftover stuffed eggplant.
Leftover stuffed eggplant should be stored in an airtight container. If properly stored and refrigerated, it should keep for about a week.
By the way, while you are here you may also be interested in these ideas.
- Vegan Puttanesca Spaghetti
- Bruschetta Pasta Salad
- Vegan Lemon Garlic Pasta
- No Bake Vegan Carrot Cake Bars
- Vegan Ramen with Shitake Mushrooms
- Easy Vegan Mug Brownie
- Vegan Mediterranean Diet Focaccia Bread
- Oven Baked Zucchini Crisps
👉Be sure to follow me on Pinterest| Facebook | and Instagram.
Also, subscribe to my weekly newsletter!
How to prepare eggplant.
You will need two medium sized eggplants for this recipe.
The eggplants should be cut in half.
Prep a baking sheet for nonstick and preheat your oven to 350.
Make diagonal lines in of the eggplants, about an inch deep) so that the lines form diamonds. After that, top the eggplants with about ½ teaspoon of olive oil and bake them in the oven until golden brown (about 10-15 minutes).
Ingredients needed to make oven baked stuffed baked eggplant.
- Eggplants. The eggplants should be prepared and baked as described above.
- Cherry Tomatoes. Any bite sized tomato will work in this recipe if needed.
- Olives. I like the flavor of Kalamata olives and green olives in this recipe.
- Pine Nuts. These give this dish a nice tasting crunchy element.
- Balsamic Vinegar. This really helps balance the flavors in this baked eggplant recipe.
- Tomato Sauce. You can use a store bought or homemade variety of sauce.
- Seasonings as desired. This can include Italian Seasonings, Mediterranean Diet Seasoning Blend, Greek Seasoning Blend, Salt, and/or Pepper.
- Vegan Parmesan. For a non vegan version, you can use regular parmesan cheese. This therefore gives this dish an ‘authentic’ flair.
How to make Mediterranean Diet Stuffed Eggplant
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Servings : 4
- Prepare the eggplants as indicated above. Allow the eggplant to somewhat cool. Then carefully scoop out the meat, leaving about a half inch in the shells. However, you can place the meat in a holding bowl.
- Next, in a large skillet or pan on on medium heat, cook the tomatoes in the remaining oil. Then, when the tomatoes begin to burst, you can then add the scooped out eggplant to the skillet and continue to cook for another three minutes, also stirring as needed to combine the ingredients.
- Remove the ingredients from the heat and stir in the olives, tomato sauce, vinegar and seasonings as desired.
- Spoon the mixture into the eggplant shells, top with the pine nuts, and bake for five more minutes. After that, top the eggplants with the (vegan) cheese and serve.
Expert Tip👉 Lightly spray the baking sheet with nonstick spray even if you are using foil or parchment paper. This will however, help keep the eggplants from sticking when they are baked in the final step.
👇👇👇 Related recipes you may also be interested in.👇👇👇
Mediterranean Diet Stuffed Eggplant, a delicious and healthy recipe that is both vegan and Mediterranean diet friendly.
Table of contents for this baked eggplant recipe.
Mediterranean Diet Stuffed Eggplant,
- 2 Eggplants – see recipe post for details and how to prep them for this recipe.
- 2 ½ tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups Tomatoes – cherry
- ¼ cup Olives
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Tomato Sauce
Seasonings as desired. This can include Italian Seasonings, Mediterranean Diet Seasoning Blend, Greek Seasoning Blend, Salt, and/or Pepper. Vegan Parmesan.
- Prepare the eggplants as indicated . Allow the eggplant to somewhat cool. Then carefully scoop out the meat, leaving about a half inch in the shells. You can place the meat in a holding bowl.
- In a large skillet or pan on on medium heat, cook the tomatoes in the remaining oil. When the tomatoes begin to burst, add the scooped out eggplant to the skillet and continue to cook for another three minutes, stirring as needed to combine the ingredients.
- Remove the ingredients from the heat and stir in the olives, tomato sauce, vinegar and seasonings as desired. Spoon the mixture into the eggplant shells, top with the pine nuts, and bake for five more minutes. Then top with the cheese and serve.
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. See Foodwineandlove.com for details on this recipe.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. However, your tips and tricks are also helpful to others. As a result, please share them.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will thus work on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life!
Lastly, nutritional Information is only an estimate and thus, can however also, vary especially with ingredients that are used.