Vegan ‘Cheesy’ Spinach Dip is a simple appetizer recipe idea that is made without adding any dairy ingredients.
This easy spinach dip is creamy and flavorful featuring the texture, color, and taste that comes from the added spinach.
Easy spinach dip made without dairy.
This is a simple recipe that combines together the healthy qualities of spinach with the creamy texture from vegan dairy alternatives.
This dip is a delicious idea especially for parties, gathering ,or as a simple snack.
Did you try my recipe for Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip?
That spinach and artichoke dip is an easy dip idea that features artichokes in addition to spinach. Both this recipe for cheesy spinach dip and that recipe for artichoke and spinach dip are perfect ideas for vegan dipping.
Nutritional yeast is used in this recipe to help make the dip cheesy and creamy. You can find a selection of nutritional yeast here.
Tips for making this creamy spinach dip recipe .
Cashews and almond milk are used to make the creamy base for this recipe. You can alternatively use a vegan cream cheese and skip this step of the process.
Here are some more great tips for you.
- Frozen spinach is used in this recipe just as it is in the original dairy recipe. For best results, defrost the spinach overnight in your refrigerator and then drain the water from it well before adding it to this recipe.
- You can easily adjust the consistency of your dip if needed. To thicken your dip stir in a teaspoon of cornstarch and water. For thinning out your dips simply stir in a small amount of additional almond milk.
- This dip can be served warm or cold. To heat up your dip, simply bake it at 350 until bubbly and browned.
How to soften cashews for use in this recipe.
Vegans know that soaked cashews have many great uses in recipes. In this recipe, the softened cashews are used in place of the creamy cheese which adds structure to a dip such as this one.
Cashews can be soaked in water overnight for softening.
However, an even quicker way to soften cashews is to boil water, turn the heat off, add the cashews to the water cover the pot, and allow the cashews to sit for 30- 40 minutes. You will need to drain the water, rinse the cashews, and drain again before adding the softened cashews to this recipe.
How to store homemade vegan spinach dip.
Leftover spinach dip should be stored in an airtight container. If properly stored, this dip should keep refrigerated for a few days. This dip does no freeze well however.
By the way, while you are here you may also be interested in these ideas.
- 5 Seed Crackers With Carrot Dip
- Easy Beet and Cashew Dip
- Vegan Cashew Queso Dip
- How to make Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Healthy Homemade Spinach Pancakes
- Delicious Spinach and Beet Salad
- Avocado Apple and Spinach Salad
- Creamy Summer Squash Soup Recipe- Vegan/MedDiet
Why we like this recipe for spinach dip.
- This is a simple recipe that can be served warm or cold.
- Spinach dip is well liked.
- Using spinach adds a healthier aspect to this recipe.
- This recipe can easily seasoned for even more flavor.
- Spinach dip can be enjoyed any time of the year.
How to make this the best vegan spinach dip.
- Serve this dip like a regular spinach dip in a sourdough bread bowl or in a bowl with crackers on the side.
- Add a few drops of hot sauce for even more flavor.
- Stir in chopped artichokes or water chestnuts for a crunchy element addition.
- Add chopped red pepper for a festive look.
- Serve this dip with homemade 5 Seed Crackers or Olive Oil Crackers, or Easy Salted Chickpea Chips.
Ingredients to make cheesy spinach dip.
- Raw Cashews. Your cashews should be soaked in water overnight to soften. Make sure that you are using 'raw' cashews as other cashews will not work in this recipe.
- Almond Milk. Use an unflavored almond milk, unsweetened is preferred. This is combined with the raw cashews to make a 'cream cheese alternative'.
- Nutritional Yeast. Added for flavor and texture to make this recipe 'cheesy'.
- Garlic. Use whole cloves that have been peeled.
- Lemon Juice. This is added for flavor balance, a hint of acidity, and to help keep the spinach green.
- Onion Powder, crushed red pepper, and salt are added for seasoning. You can use the seasonings of your choice.
- Spinach. Frozen spinach should be defrosted, drained well, and chopped.
Expert Tip 👉 Draining the spinach well is essential to the success of this recipe. You can place it on a stack of paper towels, use a mesh sieve, or cheesecloth to help squeeze the water out if needed.
How to make Vegan ‘Cheesy’ Spinach Dip
Prep Time: 15 minutes.
- Start by making the vegan cream cheese. You can skip this step and just use vegan cream cheese if desired. Use a food processor or good blender to process together the soaked and drained cashews with the almond milk. Pulse this until there are just a few chunks left (that is, almost smooth).
- Add the garlic to the 'cream cheese' and give it a few pulses. Then scrape down the sides and add the nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth- stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Next, add the seasonings and pulse until blended in. You can taste and adjust as needed. Then pulse in the lemon juice until combined.
- For the next step we will add the drained spinach. Scrape down the sides of the processor/blender and add the spinach. Pulse the ingredients until the spinach is evenly distributed.
Expert Tip 👉 Cover and refrigerate the dip for at least and hour before serving to help the ingredients and flavors to set.
👇👇👇 Related recipes you may also be interested in.👇👇👇
In case you missed something.
- Easy spinach dip made without dairy.
- Tips for making this creamy spinach dip recipe.
- How to soften cashews for use in this recipe.
- How to store homemade vegan spinach dip.
- Why we like this recipe for spinach dip.
- How to make this the best vegan spinach dip.
- Ingredients to make cheesy spinach dip.
- How to make Vegan ‘Cheesy’ Spinach Dip
The recipe card for vegan cheesy spinach dip.
Vegan ‘Cheesy’ Spinach Dip, a simple appetizer recipe for a creamy flavorful dip made without added dairy ingredients. GF, Soy Free
Vegan ‘Cheesy’ Spinach Dip
- Use a food processor or good blender to process together the soaked and drained cashews with the almond milk. Pulse this until there are just a few chunks left.
- Add the garlic to the food processor and give it a few pulses. Then scrape down the sides and add the nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth- stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Next, add the seasonings and pulse until blended, making adjustments as needed. Then pulse in the lemon juice until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the processor/blender and add the spinach. Pulse the ingredients until the spinach is evenly distributed.
originally posted:January 15, 2024
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. However, your tips and tricks are also helpful to others. As a result, please share them.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will thus work on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life!
Lastly, nutritional Information is only an estimate and thus, can however also, vary especially with ingredients that are used.