How To Choose The Right Vegan Milk is something that get confusing.
This is because not every vegan milk is the same or should be used the same.
How To Choose The Right Vegan Milk
This is a simple guide to help you choose the right vegan milk for your needs.
There really are quite a few choices for nondairy milk to choose from.
Did you try my recipe for how to make almond milk?
This almond milk recipe is a basic recipe for making your own almond milk.
Almond milk is one of the more popular nondairy kind of milk that people like to choose.
Finding the perfect olive oil can be a pain!
Learn How to Buy Good Olive Oil here.
This guide is for anyone asking which vegan milk is best.
You have probably been in the situation where you need a ‘vegan’ milk for a recipe or for your cereal. Then you learn that not every vegan milk is the same. Some are better than others, depending on the use.
Most people will settle for the milk that tastes the best or is most readily available to them.
Sometimes, the deciding factor on which milk to purchase will simply come down to the cost of that milk.
This guide is about choosing from the the best vegan or nondairy milk for use from the most popular choices.
This means for use in consumption or as part of a recipe. This guide does not take into account other factors such as what is best for the environment.
What is vegan milk made of is something that people first like to ask.
As you know, dairy milk that we purchase from the store for consumption comes from animals. Specifically, this animal is a mammal such as a cow or a goat.
Vegan milk on the other hand does not come from an animal source.
Common sources for vegan milk include nuts, soy, or grains such as oats.
While vegan milk can usually be used in place of dairy milk in daily consumption or recipes, it does not contain many of the nutritional benefits that its dairy counterpart may have. Also, certain nondairy milk may be better than others when it comes to uses.
You may ask is Soy Milk good for you.
Soy milk is made from soaking and then grinding of actual soybeans which are then boiled and filtered. The nutritional benefits of soy milk include antioxidants and protein as well as benefits related to heart health and menopause. Soy milk is also one of the more flavorful milk alternatives making it perfect for drinking as is, warm or cold.
Soy milk is a versatile plant based milk thanks to its creamy texture and great taste.
This milk works great in recipes and is especially popular in beverages such as smoothies and lattes. What you should note is that sometimes sugar may be added to soy milk and also, many commercial brands my fortify their soy milk to make it more like milk in nutrients. Soy milk is low in carbohydrates and contains protein.
The Best Uses for soy milk
- Soy milk is a popular choice for use in beverages such as latte, coffee, and smoothies.
- Breakfast foods such as pancakes or French toast.
- Baked goods as a milk substitute.
I am often asked how good is Almond Milk for you.
Almond milk is one of the more popular plant based milk that people use for daily consumption and is usually more available from grocery stores.
This is a good milk choice for drinking or adding to cereal because it has such a popular flavor and smooth texture.
What you should know is that almond milk does not have all of the nutritional benefits that other milks, such as soy milk, have.
When purchasing almond milk, look for a milk that has no added ingredients such as sugar. Avoid this milk if you have a nut allergy. Lower in calories if unsweetened. Low in protein and fiber.
Adding lemon juice to almond milk can make a good alternative for buttermilk. I would not use almond milk for for coffee or tea because it is too thin.
The Best Uses for Almond Milk :
- Everyday milk alternative for cereal or as a creamer.
- Dessert recipes such as pudding or baking with.
- As a liquid in smoothies.
Cashew and other nut milks
Almost as popular as almond milk is cashew milk.
Cashew (and similar nut milks) are popular for their flavor and for their texture.
These milks are popular choices for everyday consumption such as for pouring over cereal or drinking alone.
Cashew milk is a bit thicker than almond milk and may also be a bit more pricey.
What you should know is that cashew milk has less protein and fiber than almond milk.
However, cashew milk can be used in about anything that almond milk can be used for. Just as with almond milk, check the cashew milk for added sugar before purchasing it. Look for a fortified milk with vitamin d and calcium.
The Best Uses for Cashew milk :
- Smoothies or as a creamer for coffee.
- Used in soups and sauces.
- Cashew milk is used in dessert recipes such as homemade ice cream.
People also ask is drinking Coconut Milk good for you.
Coconut milk is a popular choice especially in areas of the world that are home to coconut trees. It has a richer flavor than other vegan milk as well as richer consistency.
Coconut milk is Coconut milk and cream are sources of healthy fats called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). Several studies have found that consuming MCTs promotes weight loss by decreasing appetite and increasing energy.
The Best Uses for Coconut milk :
- Making Curry is probably the #1 use for coconut milk worldwide.
- As a cream alternative if soups such as pumpkin or squash soups.
- Making vegan smoothies.
Here are some recipes that you may also be interested in.
- No Bake Vegan Brownies with Caramel Topping.
- Vegan Beer Cheese Queso.
- How to Make Dairy Free Rice Pudding.
- Creamy Vegan Pasta with Spinach and Artichokes.
- How to Make Vegan French Toast.
- Easy Avocado Chocolate Mousse.
How to purchase vegan milk
I mentioned that some vegan milk, such as almond milk, are decent all purpose alternative milk products that have a variety of uses. Some are better than others however when it comes to certain recipes uses.
Here are some more great tips for you.
- Check to see what other ingredients have been added.
- Stick to the unsweetened versions of vegan milk if possible. You can sweeten it up on your own.
- Many vegan milks products are fortified with vitamin d and or calcium
- Avoid a milk, such as a nut milk, if you may have any allergies to the source of the milk.
- Some kinds of vegan milk have added ingredients to help stabilize or make them taste better. It is best to read the ingredient lable to know what you are getting.
- A lot of the vegan milk choices do not have the fiber, protein, or other nutrients that come with a regular dairy milk.
- Not all vegan milk product are suited for all kinds of recipes that dairy milk may be used for.
- Sometimes a vegan milk may be more processed than you would expect it to be.
How is vegan milk made?
Vegan milk is a beverage that is made from a main ingredient, such as a nut, that is transformed though a process into a liquid. This liquid is meant to resemble actual dairy milk.
Vegan milk can usually be made at home.
There is a process which, depending on the source of the milk, that transforms the ingredients into milk. You can see my recipe for how to make homemade almond milk to learn more.
How To Choose The Right Vegan Milk, an easy to follow and informative guide to choosing the right kind of milk to use in vegan recipes.
If you liked this article, you may also be interested in these articles.