Vegetarian Slow Cooker Taco Soup is a simple yet, hearty and flavorful soup.
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Taco Soup that combines the flavors of traditional tacos with a variety of plant-based ingredients
This delicious soup combines together the flavors that we love about tacos with the healthy goodness of plant-based vegan ingredients to make something warm and good.
Plant based vegetarian taco soup.
This is a simple recipe for making taco flavored soup in a slow cooker.
Vegan ground 'beef' is seasoned and sauteed to give this recipe that texture and flavor we expect from tacos.
Did you try my Easy Vegan Taco Bowl Recipe?
That tasty taco bowl has the spicey, crunchy, and smooth elements of a taco bowl along with a tasty homemade pico de gallo. Both this slow cooker soup and that taco bowl recipe are delicious vegan meals that are easy to make.
Using a slow cooker liner can make for both an easier clean up and easier for storing leftovers. You can find a selection of slow cooker liners here.
What is the difference between Vegan, Plant-Based, and Vegetarian diets?
This can be confusing to many people as the three diets are similar in many ways.
Vegan Diet excludes all animal products and byproducts. This means eating no meat from an animal (including fish) or any kind of an animal product (such as eggs). In addition to food, strict vegans avoid wearing or using any kind of animal byproducts (such as leather).
Plant based diet emphasizes foods that are primarily derived from plants (such as fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds). This diet focuses on minimally processed foods and often excludes certain oils.
Vegetarian diet followers tend to omit meat from their diet but, may enjoy byproducts such as eggs or other dairy foods. There are subcategories of vegetarians including pescatarians who do not eat meat but, will eat seafood.
Tips for making taco soup in a crockpot or slow cooker.
My recipe for taco soup is vegetarian because I have grated cheese topping my soup. You can however, make your soup fully vegan by omitting the cheese or using a vegan cheese topping.
Here are some more great tips for you.
- The spices and seasonings used to make any taco soup can be the success of that recipe. Feel free to adjust or use the seasonings that work best for you and your likings.
- Making this taco soup without the added vegan beef will still make for a great tasting soup. You can adjust the soup for texture if needed by adding additional beans or lentils.
- For a thicker consistency of soup simply add additional broth to the slow cooker. To make a thinner soup you can add coconut cream . Another option is to run your beans through a food processor or blender before adding them to the slow cooker.
How to store leftover taco soup
Once the soup has fully cooled, it should be stored in an airtight container. If properly stored, this soup should keep for about four days refrigerated or up to a few months when frozen.
By the way, while you are here you may also be interested in these ideas.
- Easy Tofu Sheet Pan Fajitas (Vegan MedDiet)
- Pizza Babka Twist Bread (Vegan)
- Grilled Tofu Tacos
- 5 Seed Crackers With Carrot Dip
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Dates
- No Bake Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- Vegan Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- How to make Vegan Ranch Dressing
Keep up to date with my recipes!
--Keep Scrolling to Finish Reading--
Easy vegetarian taco soup recipe
This is a vegetarian soup made with plant based meat, taco seasonings and topped with cheese. To make this recipe fully vegan you can simply omit the cheese or use a vegan cheese.
How to serve slow cooker soup.
- Serve this soup warm with your choice of cheese on top and served with a side of tortilla chips with guacamole.
- One the soup has thickened, you can use it as a taco dip.
- Scoop a ladle full of this taco soup over a bun or slice of bread for a delicious meal idea.
- Turn your leftovers into a taco salad by serving it on a bed of greens.
Ingredients Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Plant Based Ground Beef. If have trouble finding this you can try using plant based burgers that have been broken up.
- Onion. Red onion was used to make my soup. Your onion should be chopped.
- Garlic. Chopped garlic works best for this recipe.
- Carrot. Your carrot should be washed and grated.
- Soup Stock. My soup was made with a vegan vegetable stock. You can use the soup stock of your choice.
- Beans. Three kinds of beans were used in my soup, kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans. Your beans should be rinsed and drained.
- Tomatoes. The tomatoes should be diced. Using canned diced tomatoes is fine however, drain the can first.
- Tomato Paste. This adds flavor and texture to this recipe.
- Salsa. This is a great way to personalize this recipe by using a chunky salsa, hot salsa, or the salsa of your choice.
- Corn. The corn can be canned or frozen.
- Seasonings. To make my taco soup, chili powder with cumin, paprika, and oregano were used. You can use a taco seasoning of your choice, adjusting as desired for taste.
Expert Tip 👉 Leaving the skin on the carrot can help give the soup additional flavor and texture as well as added nutrients. If your carrot is difficult to clean you can grate it if needed.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours and 13 minutes
How to make Vegetarian Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Start by cooking the 'beef' by sauteeing it on the stove along with the chopped onion. My 'beef' was cooked in a cast-iron skillet along with the onion for flavor. You can follow the manufacturer directions on the packaging of your 'beef' for specific instructions on cooking.
- Once the 'beef' is cooked (about ten minutes) you can add the garlic and carrot and continue to cook until the garlic becomes translucent (about three minutes). Then transfer the ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Top the cooked ingredients with the remaining ingredients and stir.
- This soup can be cooked for six to eight hours on low or three to four hours on high. The length on time for cooking can depend on how thick you want your soup to be. Stir the ingredients occasionally while they cook.
Expert Tip 👉 My soup was made using a plant based ground beef product. Cooking the 'ground beef' was done specifically for that product. While you could use a vegan beef product or vegan chicken product of your choice, it is important to refer to the directions on the packaging when it comes to cooking it.
👇👇👇 Related recipes you may also be interested in.👇👇👇
In case you missed something.
- Plant based vegetarian taco soup.
- What is the difference between Vegan, Plant-Based, and Vegetarian diets?
- Tips for making taco soup in a crockpot or slow cooker.
- How to store leftover taco soup
- Easy vegetarian taco soup recipe
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Taco Soup is a delicious hearty and flavorful soup made with healthy and plant-based ingredients.
Vegetarian Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 2 ½ cups Vegan Ground Beef - pant based or similar.
- ½ cup Onion - chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic - chopped
- ⅓ cup Carrots - grated
- 15 oz Kidney Beans - drained
- 15 oz Pinto Beans - drained
- 15 oz Black Beans - drained
- 1 cup Tomatoes - diced, drained if canned.
- 6 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Salsa
- 2 cups Corn - drained if canned
- 5 tsp Taco Seasoning.
- Start by cooking the ‘beef’ by sauteeing it on the stove along with the chopped onion. Once the ‘beef’ is cooked (about ten minutes) you can add the garlic and carrot and continue to cook until the garlic becomes translucent (about three minutes).
- Transfer the ingredients to your slow cooker. Top the cooked ingredients with the remaining ingredients and stir. This soup can be cooked for six to eight hours on low or three to four hours on high. The length on time for cooking can depend on how thick you want your soup to be. Stir the ingredients occasionally while they cook
- Serve the soup with the toppings and sides that you desire and enjoy.
Also, please see the actual recipe post for further details on this recipe. Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that are used. To make this recipe fully vegan, please make sure that you are using fully vegan ingredients.
See Foodwineandlove.com for details on this recipe.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that the links on this website, and specifically on this post, that lead to other sites may be affiliate links.
Please note: Nutritional data has been calculated using a tool that comes with this recipe card and not by me. This means that Nutritional Information is only an estimate and can vary especially with ingredients that you use. The accuracy of this tool may differ from other tools as expected. Also note that there is no instructional value to the video that may be attached to this recipe. It is only there for visual pleasure. For more information about the images in this recipe, please refer the the recipe instructions. Thank you!
Thanks so much for visiting!
If you decide to make this recipe, please stop back and let me know how it turned out for you. Also, if you have any tips or tweaks to the recipe to share, please do so in the comment section below. My readers like to stop by periodically for updates on the recipes. However, your tips and tricks are also helpful to others. As a result, please share them.
Looking for a recipe that is not on my site?
Please let me know and I will thus work on getting that recipe for you.
Happy baking, eating, and enjoying life!
Lastly, nutritional Information is only an estimate and thus, can however also, vary especially with ingredients that are used.